Friday, 26 March 2010

Wee keys, Docks, and Open Offices.

Namaste, bunny friends! Falling behind, due to Keeper’s runny nose, and excess admin., so only time for one cute bunny piccy this week: Shabana Bunny, a blur (almost) of satchel and Bodley saarii, speeding an urgent message to the Cataloguing Grotto, for the Faerie Cataloguers to wave their magic wands over a problem book, and make O.L.I.S. perfect again...

More pictures after Easter, I hope.

Had a quick look at the ‘Social O.U.L.S.’ (R.I.P.!) Wet-paint site, and was told three times by an advert I was the 999,999th visitor... Didn’t know about this site, but it looks relatively quiet at the moment. So I went straight to Wikipedia, and tried changing the Bodleian’s entry page. Had no idea it was so easy! Changed my editing back again, and must have a think about how I could expand the information. Thinking I had little to contribute to such a venture, I discovered a page about drinking chocolate! Madhuri Bunny and our Keeper will be fighting each other off to add to this information, I fear. I have signed up for a Wikispace page, but am not sure what to do with it yet. Editing the latter is somewhat trying, with font options, etc., seeming to change from pts. to percentages at random. Perhaps I could write reviews of drinking chocolates? Or a monograph on its various methods of preparation?

Now to Open Offices. All seems a good idea, really, although it suggests a blind faith in the reliability of one’s connection to the inter-web. The novelty of typing at two characters per second soon wears off, mind you. If staff had the same programmes on every computer (or we all used Sun-Rays?) we could save I.C.T. time. As a devotee of ‘Word’, I did not expect ‘Google Docs’ to do everything, but it seems to write adequate documents (although the Divine Baskerville font is absent). All reasonably intuitive to use, after a little experimentation. The only complaint is the ‘link speed’, and basic nature of the editing available.

Asked Bunny Auntie Gigi to ‘share’ my Google doc., but not allowed her to edit it. Examined the ‘forms’ option, which was actually a survey template: looks very useful. Got through to ‘Think Free’, and have started a brief monograph on drinking chocolate, a subject close to some... Composing and editing seems reasonably easy. I do like the idea of ‘cloud computing’. Whilst a dedicated deleter of ‘cookies’ after every browse, I would not trust Google with any data of mine, but as a concept it is first rate. If we could all use Sun Rays (but with an easier system of saving to Memory Sticks!), and have every programme needed on a common Desk-top, how much easier life would be! More time to spend cuddling bunnies! On a serious note, I heard a programme on Radio 4 about a company hiring ‘black boxes’ to men in suits and with Mobile ‘Phones, instead of their using Lap-tops. I wish I could remember the details, but all their programmes and documents are held on a central ‘server’, and they needed only an internet café from which to work. Is this correct? It sounded like a good idea for our Brand New Bodleian Library. Hope this cloud computing takes off!

No comments:

Post a Comment