Friday, 12 February 2010

Bollywood Widescreen Bunnies.

I am beginning to suffer 'option paralysis' and 'information over-load'. I dare not look at my I-Google page, because of all the 'feed' from my R.S.S. links (especially the Times of India !). If we are all sitting alone at our screens, transcribing the 'flight of ideas' that passes through our minds, when will we read other people's writings, let alone switch off the computer, and go and chat round a pot of hot chocolate/chai/coffee?!? "Social" means meeting others, not exchanging telegraphs!

On hearing this week's project was pictures, our Keeper flounced around the empty library, pretending to be Peter Greenaway's camera-man (except it was still dark!), and re-creating one of his films from when he was young and impressionable. We had to look French and insouciant, on a long table-top, and then he 'cropped' them to a Widescreen ratio. It kept him happy.

When asked to create yet another 'account' for the Flickr site, my heart sank, and I had to have a therapeutic bunny-cuddle. As we wanted these only for fellow 23 Thing-ers to see, our Keeper has taken some 'arty' shots about the library. Transferring the pictures to Flickr was easy, as was arranging them into a pretentiously-titled 'Batch'. However, it was difficult to check if they had been made available to the 23 Things Oxford group: Bunny Auntie Gigi confirmed they were. Some confusion ensued, as I was not sure where to put tags, descriptions, and titles: are all necessary? Why can one not search via 'Tags'? At least the 'Geo-tagging' will ensure there is one picture of Oxford, confusing and utterly boring, if found by a prospective tourist...

Then the fun began. Giving 'Pic-nik' access worked well, but I could not see the point; it seemed to do nothing that 'Paint' or 'Picture manager' did not, and the one useful thing we bunnies would love - 'grabbing' stills from our favourite Bollywood D.V.D.s so we can make some new costumes - remains elusive! Perhaps it has advantages if one spends a long time trying everything, but life is too short.

However... I can see the storage of photographs might be useful, especially to provide 'links' for illustrated web-pages which can not store pictures (I think I am correct in saying not all do). The opportunity for 'Virtual Tours' of one's library, storage of lots of direction signs, and illustrations for Staff Handbooks, would make Flickr a very useful free 'store', if one runs out of space on one's 'K'-disc drive.

Can't wait to re-enact Brief Encounter...

p.s., looking at others' comments, I need to spend much more time playing with Pic-nik: the Christmas card drawing effect is wonderful.

2 comments:

  1. Glad to see the bunnies are enjoying their starring roles!

    I can give you a little tip for making screencaps from DVDs - if you download and install the Picasa software on your machine then it will take caps for you - just press the 'Print Screen' key at the appropriate point while the DVD is running or paused on screen. It will automatically save what is on the screen as a picture in Picasa for you. Annoyingly it does so as .bmp files rather than .jpg (at least, I haven't found a way to save automatically as .jpg), but it's the easiest way I've found so far of making screencaps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure I have a spare trilby you could borrow for the Brief Encounter tableaux.

    McTunnock

    ReplyDelete